RANDOM QUOTE

" Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." ~ Mohandas K. Gandhi




Friday, June 24, 2011

Time Heals All Wounds?


"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone."  Rose Kennedy



I am struck by this quote.  When I was a child, I tripped into a glass pane that was on the floor.  I cut up my knee and I still have a scar from that incident so many years later.  There is no pain, the scar is lighter than it was but I remember the incident and I can see the scar.

I wonder if it would be helpful for people to look at emotional pain in a similar manner.  I think sometimes people are just waiting for the day something will no longer hurt or when they won’t be anxious or upset.  People distract and avoid negative feelings and often others are uncomfortable with someone else expressing difficult feelings.

Almost everyone says “Time Heals all Wounds”. I believe that is true but by healing it doesn’t mean the pain is just going to disappear if you wait it out long enough.  First, a person has to feel and acknowledge the pain.  Then a person may recover better if they realize the wound will heal but there might be a scar.  The scar may no longer hurt but occasionally there might be twinge, a moment of sadness or reminder of the event.

What feelings are you trying to wait out?  Try accepting and embracing them and understand that all of it is part of the fabric of who you are.